A Friendly Pet Friendly Policy
A number of guests have requested information about our pet friendly policies…We love our pet guests and ask their humans to do a few things to help make our condos stay pet friendly.
Please note: Dogs are not allowed on Destin Beaches. If you take your dog onto the beach, you may incur a ticket with fines from $100 to $300. There are ample spaces to walk your pet at the pet walk near your condo, or along Scenic Gulf Drive as long as you always have a bag to pick up your dog's waste.
Please don’t bring a pet to the condo unless you have talked with me about it first. I should have already chatted with each of you about your little one(s). Your pet’s name, breed and weight should be on your contract (letter of confirmation), so we’ll know who’s been a valued visitor to our condos! Our pet guest limit is 2 well-behaved small dogs (under 30 lbs), which are well groomed and clean. Please do not bring parrots, gerbils, or monkeys to the condo (yes, we have had them all). These guests climb the drapes and chew the furniture (has since been replaced), so we have had to say “no” to this type of pet.
Small Dog Friendly
It’s not that we don’t love big dogs we do. I had a Black Lab growing up. The problem is very large dogs (Labradors, Shepherds, Boxers, Pit Bulls, etc) are just not happy in a condo, so our weight limit is 30 lbs. Please call me if you have any questions at all about our policies.
Let’s Play by the Rules
Here are a few suggestions for you, and some strict rules set forth by the homeowner’s association to help everyone have a great ‘pet’ experience on vacation.
Is your pet a chatter box (barks a lot)?
This is MOST important (besides not peeing in the condos). Please remember there are other guests nearby. You know how annoying it is to hear a dog bark constantly for hours on end. Many times this happens when you leave your dog running loose in the condo and you have gone to dinner or to the beach. Multiple dogs also get each other excited and begin to bark together. A crate will usually eliminate this problem. If your pet continues to bark, and is disturbing other guests, the on-site property manager might insist you to board him/her. Please respect other guests’ quiet vacation time, and allow us to continue to be pet friendly. Tip: You can hear dogs barking in the condo next door, overhead and below, so letting them bark continuously in your condo, will be disturbing others, even if your doors and windows are closed.
Pet Procedures for a Pleasant Stay
- Clean-up Courtesy! When you walk your pet, it is mandatory to clean up your pet’s ‘presents’ with a plastic bag. You know the drill. Who wants to step in that? :) All complexes have a designated pet walk – so please use it! You can walk your dogs other places, but you must clean up after them, and not allow male dogs to pee on the sides of buildings, fences, etc.
- Leash Laws. Your little one should be on a leash at all times when outside the condo.
- Elevator Etiquette. When you ride the elevator please carry your pet. This is very important, because we want other guests to feel safe when they are riding the elevator. If we cause trouble with other guests, our pet privilege may be taken away.
- Creative Crating. We recommend that you bring your pet’s crate, so when you go to dinner, or out to the beach or pool, your pet won’t become agitated and try to claw his/her way out of the condo. Sometimes, pets do the strangest things when they are in an unfamiliar place. This suggestion is mostly for their safety. Please don’t leave the sliding doors open for your pet to get fresh air while you are gone. He or she can climb onto patio furniture and might try to escape to find you.
- Hairs Some Good Ideas. If your pet is shedding when you are in Destin, please clean up the hair before you leave. There are a vacuum cleaner and broom at the condo to help you. Also, please bring an adhesive lint brush and use it on the furniture if you can see pet hair. Our next guests will appreciate you and our housekeeper will be able to clean the condo without charging you extra for additional time cleaning up pet hair from the sofa and under beds (the air conditioner will pull it in many directions!). Remember, your cleaning fee is paying for the housekeeping cleanup after you leave.
- Eliminate the Problem. If your dog has peed on the walls, furniture, rug, etc., your credit card will be charged for cleaning. If your pet is not totally potty trained, do not bring them to our properties. It can be a disaster – remember this condo is someone’s home, so please treat it with respect and care.
- Pesty Pets a No-No. If your pet has fleas, or is an outside dog, do not bring your pet to the condo. These properties are only for guests with small, well groomed, lap dogs who are comfortable in small spaces and totally housebroken. If you have any doubts, please do not bring them.
- Beach Ban a Bummer. Your pet is not allowed on the beach in Destin. Only pets whose owners have registered them and live in Destin year round can frolic on the beach. Your leashed pet is welcome on the asphalt walkway which runs for 6 miles along Scenic Gulf Drive. This is a great place for you to run off your pet’s energy and to enjoy a view of the beautiful ocean. Just tote along a plastic bag for you know what.
- Prohibition on Pool Privileges. I regret to say you can’t take your pet for a swim in the pools or hot tub. Plus, the chlorine will ruin his/her $50 hairstyle.
- Lounging Laws. If your pet likes to lounge around on the furniture, please put a spare sheet on his/her favorite place. You can usually find an extra sheet in the master closet. A towel will do nicely as well, and you can throw either in the washer if you have to use it. Just throw it in with the towels in the tub when you leave. This will keep any doggie odor from absorbing into the upholstered pieces. Remember, some of our guests don’t know the joy of bringing their favorite pal on vacation.
- Save the Sand. If your doggie gets sand on his feet or in his coat, please do not bathe him in the tub until you have rinsed him off at the outside faucet. Sand in the tub can require a plumber’s visit and you don’t want that to happen, believe me. They charge more than medical doctors, and we will have to pass this cost along to your dog (Unless he has a job, you will have to pay for the plumber!)
- We Love our Pets. If you will just treat your vacation condo like it belonged to you, everything will be wonderful! Again, we love our pet guests and their humans, and we want you to return, so help us keep everything as tidy as possible for the next guest.
Dining in Destin with Your Favorite Friend!
The latest info I have about Pompano Joes and Harry T’s (at the Harbor), is that they will serve you on the courtyard when you bring your dog with you. He or she must be leashed and have good manners!
When your pet gets sick: Best Vet Around: Airport Vet Clinic 900 Airport Road Destin 32541 850-370-3277
Playing in Destin with Your Favorite Friend!
Options at Destin:
Henderson Beach State Park - Destin, FL
When you're in Destin, be sure to take your dog to HendersonBeachState Park. The park has more than 6,000 feet of scenic shoreline and a gorgeous beach with pristine white sugar sand and crystal clear emerald-green water.
Dogs aren't allowed on the beach in Henderson Park or on the boardwalk, but they can enjoy the picnic area and nature trail with you on a 6-foot leash. The nature trail begins in the picnic area and winds through the dunes for about a mile before reaching a high dune that developed around the remnants of an old military bunker. From here, you'll have a great view of the park. Come at sunset and you may even spot dolphins playing in the water just offshore. There's no better way to end a day at the beach.
Also, there is a dog park in Destin!! Here is a link to information: Destin Dog Park
Beach Ordinances Regarding Dogs & Glass Containers Now Enforced on First Offense
Walton County states: "Please make sure your visitors are aware of these ordinances and their enforcement. You may direct questions about either ordinance to the Code Enforcement division at 850-622-0000."
Due to complaints to the Walton County Sheriff's Office regarding glass bottles and unpermitted dogs on the beach, Walton County Deputies have begun issuing citations on the first offense to beachgoers in violation of either ordinance. Dogs are allowed on Walton County beaches only with a permit, which can be obtained only by meeting one of the following conditions:
- Dogs assisting those who are sight and hearing impaired or service animals
- Dogs owned by WaltonCounty real property owners
- Dogs owned by a permanent, year-round resident of WaltonCounty
Even with a permit, restrictions apply. The beach dog tag allows leashed dogs on Walton County Beaches between the hours of 3:00 p.m.- 9:00 a.m. (Standard Time) and 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 a.m. (Daylight Savings Time).
Regarding glass containers. Walton County Code, Article IV,Sec. 22-54 (d) states: It shall be unlawful for any person while on the beach to possess or utilize any glass or ceramic bottle or container. Glass containers on the beach constitute a safety hazard for beachgoers, who can be badly injured by broken glass.